Wednesday, 25 January 2017

'Doors Open Day 2016' at The Anatomy Rooms!

Like many people I was quite oblivious to what had been happening inside The Anatomy Rooms since the first call out for artists. As part of the Doors Open Day in Aberdeen we finally got a peek into the inner workings and goings on of the space and I was completely blown away by what I saw. Armed with my DSLR I made my way around the studio spaces as they were at that time and tried to capture a flavour of what the day was like.

Narrow corridors lead you down to the back of the studios where individual studios look out over West North Street while the main corridor branches into old teaching rooms which now house 2 to 3 artists each. Every room seemed to hold more wonders than the next as the resident artists showed completed work and some of their work in progress, some were just set up as the artists use them day to day, museum like while others were on hand and invited you to participate whether it be creating a design and making a badge or having a shot on a knitting machine. The day was broken up by musical performance by Fit Like Records with CS Buchan and The Great Bear both playing lovely sets during the day followed by myself and DJ Money aka Callum Minelas playing some records in the evening.

Young and old rubbed shoulders in the corridors as people took the time to explore this once famous landmark, which has sat empty for a number of years until studio founder Jim took ownership and its quite a place they've created. I've previously covered some of the goings on in year 1 at The Anatomy Rooms here and events like the Doors Open Day showed that there's a real interest in these kind of spaces and I'm especially excited by the idea of more social evenings where studio residents and friends from the wider arts community can come down and have a beer and listen to some records, get some VJ's or student films on, start building up a social side to the studios that can help raise their profile but also help bring together people from the Aberdeen art scene. The new gallery space will also play a big part in this with the first show by Lauren Milton highlighting just what can be done with even the smallest of spaces. I think for too long people have operated in solitude with in their own bubbles and I hope this could be a new space where established artists, students and people interested in art can meet, show work, discuss ideas and work towards more shared experiences.

As ever things are changing all the time and I'm sure since I filmed this video some artists have left and new artists will be coming in but I'm glad I caught the start of it and can't wait to see where it can go. 5 hour all vinyl DJ sets here I come!