Thursday, 19 May 2016

'4 BIT' by Emily Binks, Paul Corbett, Sophie Ormerod & Jonathan H S Ross at GHAT!

It really is the strangest feeling going up to the hospital and not being ill or having a sore limb to get fixed. In fact the place which has been a scene of some pretty horrible memories is quickly becoming one of my favourite places to visit and its all thanks to the new Suttie Arts Space. And the great staff!
 
Although not the most convenient pace to visit I made the effort to cycle up for the '4 BIT' opening which features some great work by 4 up and coming artists, Emily Binks, Paul Corbett, Sophie Ormerod & Jonathan H S Ross. I struck by Paul's monolithic display when I first walked in. Next up Jonathan's video piece and the remains of a copy of a classical sculpture sit on the wall. Its not til you see the sculpture being worn down that things fall into place, I stood fascinated for about ten minutes, wishing I could see the sculptures face, now erased for eternity. Sophie shows a fine collection of large scale paintings which focus on the most basic elements of shape and colour. Finally Emily's brightly coloured soft play cushions round off the show.
 
The central theme I found running through all the work is a sense of exploration and fun! Sometimes shows can be a bit stuffy or the work is technically very proficient but in turn takes on a serious tone but '4 BIT' is fun. And colourful! The show runs until the 4th of July so I hope you don't have any reasons to visit the hospital apart from to see '4 BIT' and to bug Tasmin & Fraser!