Friday, 15 February 2013

Disney Pixar's Wreck It Ralph!


I went to see the new Disney Pixar film Wreck It Ralph and I was pretty amazing! The story follows lonely Ralph, an arcade game bad guy who's goal is to demolish an apartment building but Fix It Felix Jr is on hand to repair the damage and ultimately gains the adoration of the other 8 bit characters. Understandably Ralph is left feeling sad and angry, after all hes only following his programming and once the arcade is closed he gets to be himself, a rather lovely guy. Anyway thing's take a turn for the worse and Ralph finds him self on a bit of a quest, one which not only put him in danger but the whole Fix It Felix Jr game! 

That's all I'm going to say about the story as I don't want to spoil it for anyone but the design, the animation and the sound are all worth mentioning. First up the retro 8-bit promo's are fantastic, totally reminds me of my first proper console the Nintendo NES! I did have a Commodore 64 but that was a nightmare, loading the tapes just to find it hadn't loaded properly, no the NES was a lot better! Its nice to see these retro touches in the world of HD films and super slick animations. The over all animation as you'd expect from Pixar is second to none, even the jerky movements of the characters, mimicking their 8-bit versions are the kind of details that make Wreck It Ralph so enjoyable.Jumping from 8-bit to super smooth 21st Century tech has never looked so good! And finally the sound. The voices of each character is to my ears, perfect. From John C Reily as Ralph to Alan Tudyk as King Candy, its just perfect casting. The overall sound design on the film is great from the 8-bit bleeps to the sweet tones of the Sugar Rush theme tune. The only questionable part is the use of Shut Up & Drive by Rhianna but I can live with that.

Overall though it is a great watch. The story is quite touching, I've read some reviews ripping it to pieces but its a kids movie, its got a good message behind it and ill be honest, when Ralph says his bad guys line while falling through the air, I did get a lump in my throat! Defo one to see in the cinema so check it out "I'm A Wreck It" indeed!