Tuesday, 2 October 2012

'The Oil Baron's Club' by John Walter @ Smart Gallery!

Some snaps from the awesome show by John Walter. After checking out some of the NEOS spaces we cycled up to the Smart Gallery for a second look at John's work, minus the crazy outfit and guinnes cocktails, they certainly packed a punch. I missed the performanceon the Saturday but there should be a video coming soon from Smart & The Kiosque.

Anyway the work will be on display until 21st October and you can purchase a rather beautiful limited edition screen print created just for the show, see the pics below or anything else you see on the walls, I would like one of the big colourfull pieces for my hallway, just to brighten things up a little! Its a pretty mad and bright show but go spend some time in the space and if you don't feel slightly up lifted when you come out then I'm afraid there's no hope for you!

I had a pretty inspiring chat with John afterwards about the cultural landscape in Aberdeen and he was so full of ideas and suggestions,  just what I needed. I guess now its a case of acting and not just sitting back and expecting something to happen but it can be hard knowing there's all these cool creative bubbles but no real sense of connectivity or network. But I have to say the Smart team have been really putting in the effort and seeing the planning wall in their office assured me that there will be lots of good events and openings to look forward too. But in the mean time be sure to pay them a visit before the full Winter Blues set in!