Saturday, 15 May 2010

Jenny Hood "Numerology" Opening @ The Athenaeum!

I got a bit annoyed the other day when some people walked past me and I overheard them say "You know what Aberdeens missing? Culture", I nearly stopped to shout at them but didnt as I'd just come from Jenny Hood's first solo exhibition "Numerology", currently on show in the Athenaeum bar & restaurant at the top of Union Street.

Jim Ewen has stepped in to help bridge the gap between artists & venues, gaining the support of Atheneum owners who provided some amazing cocktails & nibbles for guests.

I've written about Jenny before as shes worked on numerous stop motion films with her partner in crime Stewart Comrie. Jenny's new work tread a fine line between the dark and the humorous. Using a selection of imgages colleaged together, shes created some beautiful pieces. Framed in a mish mash of different frames, the pieces sit nicely in the Atheneaum, they almost create their own space in the bar with the leather sofa's and the moody lighting.

Jenny's first solo outing is a great start and I look forward to seeing how her work and style develops over the coming year along with Stewart's. Massive shout to Jim Ewen for his efforts in setting up the exhibition and helping to bring some of that missing "Culture" to Aberdoom!