Sunday, 28 March 2010

Candy for the Eyes & Ears 5! Max Ricter!



Wen't to see the new Martin Scorsese film Shutter Island starring his long time collaborator Leonardo DiCaprio. The film was good, it keeps you guessing and as you would expect is beautifullly done but the thing that really stood out was the soundtrack!

From the first fog horn to the closing credits the music is perfect, conveying the mood of each chapter and emphasising the main characters inner turmoil as he falls further and further into the mad house. One tune in particular caught my attention though, Max Richter's "On the Nature of Daylight". I'd often heard friends speaking of his music but had yet to go and find anything for myself. After seeing the film I googled the title and went through the motions until I found what I was after.

Taken from his 2004 "The Blue Notebooks" album, Nature of Daylight at once brought out a sadness in me I'd had under control but combined with the moving imagery of Teddy dancing with his dead wife as she dissolves into ash & liquid and the music I did shed a little tear. But it was more the thought's it provoked of my own friend's, my own losses and a very real sadness which has been in my life for a few years now. To have a song make shivers run up your spine is a sign of a pretty amazing song, for me anyway.

Not all of his songs will reduce you to tears but he does tread a fine path but you take the good days with the bad days, you find the music, the art and the people that touch you, that enrich your life and you listen to them that little bit louder, you look at them that little bit longer and you hold them that little bit closer.